Finally nearly all my plants are in now. It seems to have taken ages this year. I don’t know, the weather seems colder for longer these days. My sister says it is because I am getting old, but I am sure my plants would disagree.
Many people have said they have the same problem as I have this year, the runner beans just will NOT grow! Argh! I only have a mini greenhouse and it is not enough. Maybe next year they will have to come inside at the start.
In addition my poor almond tree lost most of it’s leaves so I am going to have to rethink that in the autumn. The most probable cause is that before I took on my half a plot the person before grew potatoes and apparently this is not good. The second is too much water. I can’t make up my mind whether to dig it out add other soil and raise it up a bit to give additional drainage or to bring it back to the house and put it in the yard.
My blackcurrant went and lost two branches. This was either due to too much water or the spraying outside my plot. Even if I give them the benefit of the doubt with the blackcurrants, part of the Tayberry died and there is no doubt that was due to the spraying, I am not a happy bunny! I don’t spray inside my plots. I can’t do anything about my neighbours as they have the right to garden how they like but outside the edges they should not spray if you don’t want them to.
Still I have replaced the runner beans and I have other kinds of beans anyway so not too worried.
This year I was going to have an easy year and not do any experiments as haven’t gotten around to writing up last years yet, but have decided to branch out and try polyculture in one of my beds.